The goal of this article is to list (almost) all WireGuard VPN providers and present their approach toward offering access to the WireGuard protocol.
WireGuard seems to be the future of VPN protocols due to its simplicity and performances. Several VPN providers were involved in testing and supported the development of WireGuard in the last few years. And now, WireGuard is ready for broad-scale adoption.
You may test the new VPN protocol yourself by subscribing to one of the WireGuard VPN providers listed below.
Why is WireGuard the next generation VPN protocol
WireGuard is a relatively new VPN protocol that brings significant benefits to VPN users. It is important to know that:
- WireGuard is free and open-source.
- The project code has about 4,000 lines. Thus, it can be easily audited.
- It uses the latest and most robust encryption algorithms.
- It runs at Layer 3, and it was recently included in the Linux kernel.
Comparing to other VPN protocols WireGuard is:
- faster than OpenVPN;
- uses less memory and CPU than IPSec;
- more secure.
Additionally, it seems that, due to its stateless nature, WireGuard improves the battery life of mobile devices.
Of course, WireGuard also has some drawbacks. You may read more about them here.
WireGuard VPN providers
VPN providers have started to implement WireGuard for several years, but only recently have released stable solutions (after the official WireGuard launch on March 30th, 2020).
Basically, there are two approaches:
- Some VPN services offer access to a WireGuard config generator to create configuration files to their VPN servers. A user may import the config file(s) into the WireGuard official apps (available on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS), or use the config(s) from the command line on Linux.
- Other VPN providers have implemented WireGuard in their applications for a more user-friendly experience.
You may find below the list of WireGuard VPN providers and their implementation.
 NordVPN – Advanced WireGuard support
NordVPN is one of the first VPN providers that has implemented WireGuard in his native apps.
NordLynx (the name of the NordVPN WireGuard implementation) is available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. It is super easy to set up as all you have to do is to change the VPN protocol (Settings > General > VPN protocol > NordLynx).
NordLynx is not simply a WireGuard implementation as it is enhanced with double NAT (Network Address Translation) for increased security. The double NAT system assigns a dynamic IP address for each tunnel such that no identifiable data is stored on the server.
This is consistent with the NordVPN zero-logs policy.
 Mullvad – Impressive WireGuard options
Mullvad, the privacy-oriented VPN provider, started to offer the WireGuard protocol as part of its service since 2017. It is one of the few VPNs that expose WireGuard both through the WireGuard apps by generating config files and from within its own VPN clients.
Mullvad apps implement WireGuard as follows:
- The Android VPN and iOS VPN apps only offer access to the WireGuard protocol.
- For macOS and Linux, WireGuard is the default protocol, but you may switch to OpenVPN if you want to.
- For Windows, you need to select the WireGuard protocol (gear icon > Advanced > Tunnel protocol > WireGuard)
Mullvad stands out as a WireGuard VPN provider by the advanced options available. For WireGuard, you may select the port (Automatic or 53), bridge mode (Automatic/On/Off), MTU (1280-1420), and you may reset your WireGuard key anytime you want.
The WireGuard configuration file generator is … impressive. Firstly, take note that:
We [Mullvad] never get access to your private key, only the public key is sent to us. The private key is stored locally in your browser so that you can create multiple files from the same key and as soon as you leave this page, it is deleted.
Secondly, you may generate a config file or a QR code that can be imported by the WireGuard apps. Start by generating a new WireGuard key (you have 5 slots available for apps and manually generated configs) and choose a location/server.
 PrivateInternetAccess – WireGuard on all apps
PrivateInternetAccess was involved in funding the WireGuard development, and, as soon as it was released publicly, PIA has added WireGuard as an additional VPN protocol for its VPN apps.
To ensure that the server-client connection remains private, no IP addresses are leaked, and no logs are kept, PrivateInternetAccess has extended the WireGuard VPN tunneling kernel with additional protections:
- PIA WireGuard servers run RESTful APIs protected by RSA certificates;
- A daemon deletes connection data at regular intervals for the case when keepalives are no longer being sent for three minutes.
 StrongVPN – WireGuard on apps and routers
StrongVPN started to deploy WireGuard since September 2019.
The WireGuard protocol is integrated into the StrongVPN apps (Windows, macOS, Android, iOS) along with OpenVPN and IKEv2.
 IVPN – WireGuard with extra privacy protection
IVPN is one of the early adopters of the new VPN protocol. WireGuard is available for all IVPN subscribers on all available servers.
In order to solve potential privacy issues regarding WireGuard, IVPN proposes the following approaches:
- No connection data or metadata about your keys are stored, and IVPN takes care to ensure that data is not held longer than it is required for optimal usage.
- IVPN allocates random tunnel IP addresses and rotates them at your request.
- The apps support periodically changing IP addresses. This process is implemented together with key regeneration.
- All IVPN apps support periodic, automatic key regeneration, which also changes the internal IP address.
 CyberGhost – WireGuard for Linux and iOS
CyberGhost is also a WireGuard VPN provider. At this time, WireGuard is available in the Linux and iOS apps. Probably it will be added soon to the other apps as well.
 AzireVPN – Simple WireGuard config
AzireVPN is another Swedish VPN provider that implements WireGuard. At this time, AzireVPN offers access to a config file generator that lets you select the location, file extension type, port, and IP (IPv4/IPv6).
Additionally, may install WireGuard on Linux (CLI) or use the pre-alpha Windows VPN client.
 VyprVPN – Apps with WireGuard support
VyprVPN released version 4.0 of their apps (Windows, macOS, Android, iOS) with full WireGuard support. It support all servers.
Golden Frog (the company behind VyprVPN) does not explain how they implement WireGuard in their apps; therefore, I suppose it is pretty standard.
 VPN.ac – Basic WireGuard config file generator
VPN.ac offers access to a basic WireGuard config generator. Thus, you need to install the official WireGuard apps and imported the config files.
You may add up to 6 devices for a VPN.ac account.
 TorGuard – WireGuard config generator
TorGuard also offers access to WireGuard. From the Client Area you may activate the access to 25+ WireGuard tunnels from around the World. All you have to do is to generate a config file and import it to the WireGuard app corresponding to your operating system.
 Mozilla VPN – New WireGuard VPN service from Mozilla
The recently launched VPN service from Mozilla uses the server network powered by Mullvad and the WireGuard protocol. At this time, Mozilla VPN is available in the US, the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia (you may join the waitlist), and it works on Windows 10, Android, iOS, and Chrome OS.
We have listed more than 10 VPN providers that already offer access to the WireGuard protocol. In the next months, more and more services will get in line and implement WireGuard.
Do you know another WireGuard VPN provider that is not on the list? Feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Would you like to be notified when we add new VPN services to the WireGuard list? Subscribe to our newsletter! It will make a Transylvanian baby-bat 🦇happy.